Series 0026 - Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

CA COWA F0001-0026

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1892 - 1971 (Creation)
    Creator
    Winnipeg (Man.). Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation

Physical description area

Physical description

3.5 m of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1893-1971)

Administrative history

The first public parks board for the City of Winnipeg was created in 1893 through By-Law No. 575, which adopted provisions in the Public Parks Act enacted by the Province of Manitoba in 1892. Membership of the Public Parks Board was prescribed in the legislation and initially included the mayor, six councillors and six citizen members. The Board met at least once a month. Circa the late 1940’s, the Public Parks Act was incorporated into the Municipal Act RSM as Chapter 141 Division III. An amendment to the Act dated April 20, 1951 resulted in a change of name: from Public Parks Board or Winnipeg Public Parks Board to Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation.

When first established, the Board was involved in acquiring land to create a system of urban parks throughout the City – including Assiniboine and Kildonan Parks. In addition to park development, the Board constructed and operated municipal golf courses and swimming pools, was involved in city beautification through tree planting and boulevard construction and maintenance, provided facilities for recreation, and managed the zoo and municipal cemeteries – including Brookside.

The Board had wide-ranging powers, including the ability to purchase property for park purposes and pass by-laws for the use, regulation, protection and governance of City parks. A committee structure was adopted to facilitate the work of the Board. In 1911, the Board passed By-Law No. 10 to regulate the proceedings and conduct of its committees and officers. Committees established by the Board reflected major responsibilities and initiatives. Periodically, special or sub-committees were formed to address specific issues. These were dissolved once the issue had been resolved. For most of its history, the Standing Committees of the Board were as follows:

Finance Committee
Boulevards and Trees Committee
Parks Committee
Cemetery Committee
Recreation Committee
Golf Committee.

In 1964, following the transfer of golf courses and large urban parks to the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg, the City of Winnipeg held a referendum on the future of the Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation. The result of voting on City of Winnipeg By-Law 19003 was 15,144 for and 12,537 against the dissolution of the Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation. By-Law 19060 then established the Committee on Parks and Recreation, which took over all of the duties and responsibilities of the Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation effective January 1, 1965.

Custodial history

City Clerk’s Department.

Scope and content

Forms part of Fonds 1. The Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation was responsible for managing all public parks located in the City of Winnipeg. The Board had the power to employ appropriate staff; pass by-laws regarding the use, protection and governance of City parks; assess and levy rates to cover costs for park improvements; and to acquire, expropriate and dispose of land for park purposes. The Board was required to keep records regarding its decisions and financial transactions.

The minutes, by-laws, communications and reports of the Winnipeg Board of Parks and Recreation trace the development of public park space in Winnipeg.

The records consist of five sub-series:

Sub-Series 10: Minutes, 1893-1964

Sub-Series 11: Minutes, Standing and Special Committees, 1893-1964

Sub-Series 12: Communications, 1901-1931. Bound Letter Press volumes and loose correspondence

Sub-Series 13: Reports, 1892-1971

Sub-Series 14: By-Laws, 1928-1963

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access to these records. Researchers are responsible for observing Canadian copyright regulations.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File List available in Research Room.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Related groups of records within the same fonds:
Council, Minutes
Council, By-Laws
Committee on Parks and Recreation
Playgrounds Commission

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

physical storage

  • Boxes: A1221-A1248